Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Bun in Every Oven



Maybe it’s just me, but it seems like for the past several years the media has covered celebrity pregnancies with excruciating detail (Kate Middleton, Kim Kardashian, Beyonce).  Why is that?  Is it supposed to humanize them?  Do we like seeing them doing something as ordinary as having a baby?  Something that feels as inaccessible to me as marrying a prince, getting my own reality show, or performing at Madison Square Garden. 

It could just be that I’m noticing it more now that we are trying to conceive - celebrities, friends, strangers on the street.  Psychologists call it “confirmation bias,” a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypothesizes.  In other words, I feel like the only woman in the world who can’t get pregnant, so my mind tries to confirm that belief with extreme awareness of the pregnancies round me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment